Department: Rehab Services
Job Title: Occupational Therapist – Per Diem
The Occupational Therapist is responsible for the evaluation, planning, directing, and administering of occupational therapy modalities of treatment as prescribed by a licensed physician. Administers treatments and occupational agents as prescribed by a referring physician in an effort to restore function and prevent disability following injury, disease or physical disability. Assists patients to reach their maximum performance and level of functioning, while learning to live within the limits of their capabilities.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Adheres to hospital dress code as outlined in the Boulder City Hospital Personnel Policies and Practices Handbook; appearance is neat and clean.
2. Completes annual educational requirements.
3. Maintains regulatory requirements, state and federal regulations and standards.
4. Reports to work on time and as scheduled. Completes work within designated time.
5. Wears identification while on duty.
6. Completes in-services and returns in timely fashion.
7. Attends committee, QI and management meetings, as appropriate.
8. Maintains bi-weekly time sheet per department policy
? Ability to read and communicate effectively in English; ? Additional languages preferred, but nor required; ? Strong written and verbal skills.
? Basic computer knowledge. ? Ability to maintain control and respond calmly and positively during crisis situations (i.e., Code 99). ? Knowledge of physical medicine, occupational therapy modalities, anatomy and physiology. ? Knowledge of physical and occupational therapy machine operation, along with maintenance and repairs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Graduate from an approved school of Occupational Therapy. 2. Current Nevada State Occupational Therapy Licensure. 3. Recommend at least 1 (one) or more years of previous experience in all aspects of occupational therapy. 4. Current BLS (CPR) certification.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Directs the occupational therapy department certified staff, including occupational therapy assistants, occupational therapy technicians, occupational therapy certification applicants and occupational therapy students. 2. Observes and evaluates treatment affect. Recommends changes to physician, if needed. 3. Performs an appropriate assessment on each patient, as related to the therapy requested and provided and reassessments, as per policy. This includes Inpatients on Medical/ Surgical/Telemetry Unit, Long Term Care, Outpatient, and Home Health patient populations. 4. Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning; family is included in teaching, as appropriate. 5. Demonstrates knowledge and proficiency of occupational therapy modalities. 6. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial needs of patients and family. 7. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Maintains department cleanliness and safety. 8. Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/ family in the formation of the plan of care. 9. Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff and administrative team. 10. Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients\’ needs are met and hospital policy is followed. 11. Maintains records pertinent to the personnel and operation of the department. 12. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations. 13. Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments. 14. Consults other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities. 15. Participates in performance improvement activities for the department and organizational QI activities as directed. 16. Meets current documentation standards and policies. 17. Participates in educational staff performance improvement in-services. 18. Assists with orientation and in-service training for certified department staff members. Participates in guidance and educational programs. 19. Provides evaluation of certified staff, including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and termination. 20. Coordinates, delegates and supervises responsibilities assigned to supportive staff (Occupational Therapy Assistants, Occupational Therapy Technicians, etc.). 21. Provides input in formulating budget, assists in evaluating department performance versus budget controls and takes appropriate action to remain within budget guidelines. 22. Ensures that all patient charges are per policy, accurate and entered on a daily basis. 23. Participates in infection control, departmental equipment training and organizational safety and fire safety programs.
Job Pay: NA